Thursday, 15 December 2011

Character Design

Elliot Walby's Drawing For Games


Before I begin, please note that you can click on any image here and it will bring up a larger version, with a tab along the bottom for looking through the images, if you want to stop viewing the images, click anywhere on the webpage.




I began character design by attempting to create silhouettes... (shown below) 













This was my first attempt at silhouette design ever and I'm not too happy with the results. I am keen to continue developing skills into this area of design though as it may prove useful in creating quick ideas for character generation. I believe the general idea behind this concept art is to be able to think of many different shapes and styles that can fit together well and to be able to put them together in a well thought out arrangement.

I attempted to create a character here but, knowing the bare minimum about character design I quickly sketched out a model, 7 and a half heads high, using the ruler tool in Photoshop I set the height of the head to 1cm and created lines all down the page in those increments.
Once I had the heights set I began drawing... The design took me a few minutes and once again didn't turn out as I'd really like, so I thought I should have a look into character design a little further. I searched www.deviantart.com for decent sketches of noses, eyes, hands and character poses.

Eventually I found some good looking concept images defining the above and I began to sketch them over and over. I took to a hand pose quite quickly and so I kept it, the nose I still have to figure out, it seems a little easier to shade the nose than to line art it for me. and the only poses I found were of a woman crouching, so I briefly sketched that out attempting to make it more masculine.
Below are a few of the sketches I created during my character development.
And here are some of the useful images I that I shall continue to use while learning to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment