Thursday, 15 December 2011

Environmental Sketches Continued


I've spent a little time thinking about my environments and what will be in them. I thought of a desert as I would like a nice sunny desert scene, but there's not a large amount to draw in a desert, so I thought of doing a mountain scene instead.

Below is a sketch I created when I was busy creating sandy dunes... instead I made a small shaded area to the left (I was testing shading for sand there) and multiple drawings of a tower idea I thought of. I wanted to incorporate a tower into the landscape design, which I planned to use for the cityscape design later on, visualising a village or barracks within the tower itself.


This drawing is my very first quick sketch of concept art, I was thinking of doing a view of the tower close up, at the base of it so I could show more in depth what the tower's about. I eventually thought this sketch up may be a good idea, but I went on to try something else for now.


This is the final depiction of my tower surrounded by its mountain terrain.
I attempted to simulate natural lighting by shading only in one direction, but it seems I went off line a bit. In the beginning of the drawing I didn't even have the tiles nearly pointing to the vanishing point so at least I've come this far.

The parts connecting the standing features on this balcony is glass, which is why I have left it very paper-white with slight outlines, I shaded one of the glass panels as I thought the lighting would fit, covering the glass from hitting the stand.

The mountains could definitely use a lot more detail but at this point I'm not sure how to detail them further.
I created this sketch with only a couple of references, a small selection of images to look at I made a huge mistake in the way that I shaded the picture. I believe it would have looked much better using the white background of the paper to show the effect of snow on a mountain rather than using dark shading to depict shadows.




This sketch has a way to go yet, I have added a couple of trees, the tower in a location I liked and the waterfall/cliff face.





This next image is an idea I want to follow up on in photoshop, it shows a few tents and campfires which are situated quite a way from the tower, but there will be hundreds of them leading all the way up to the base of it, I thought this idea would work as a "cityscape" for my themes as it continues with the tower but shows a more in depth look into what's going on with the tower.






No comments:

Post a Comment